It is the responsibility of the Neglect Group to take forward the Neglect agenda for Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. This includes:
- reviewing the Neglect Strategy and guidance
- reviewing the reach and effectiveness of neglect training across the partnership
- reviewing and promoting an agreed Neglect toolkit and ensuring that supporting training is available
- conducting studies into the effectiveness of interventions to address neglect and into transgenerational neglect
- improving awareness of neglect, the harm it causes and how to report and prevent neglect.
Neglect Group terms of reference
The Multi-Agency Neglect Strategy and supporting documents were completed and launched in October 2017:
This is defined as the ongoing failure to meet a child or young person's basic needs and includes:
- Food, clothing and shelter
- A safe place to live
- Love, care or attention
- Education, health and dental care
Neglect is the most common form of child abuse. It is dangerous and can cause serious, long-term damage to children and young people; it can result in death.