Quick Exit

What do you need to know if you have a concern about a person who works with children?

If you are concerned about someone who is a professional or volunteer in the children’s workforce in relation to their conduct towards a child - either their own child or those they work with - you should raise this with the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) within 24 hours.

All organisations should have arrangements to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. This includes having policies for dealing with allegations against people who work with children.

An allegation may relate to a person who works with children who has:

  • behaved in a way that has harmed a child, or may have harmed a child
  • possibly committed a criminal offence against or related to a child
  • behaved in a way that indicates they may pose a risk of harm to children
  • behaved or may have behaved in a way that indicates they may not be suitable to work with children (school and colleges only)

All local authorities should have a Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) who is involved in the management and oversight of individual cases. For more information or to make a referral to the LADO for Cornwall Council or the Council of the Isles of Scilly, please visit Professional Allegations


Have your say...

Comments are closed for this article