Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly SAB logo
RAA feed icon

Recognising and reporting abuse - what does it look like and how to raise concerns

What is abuse / definitions of abuse

The Care and support statutory guidance identifies ten types of abuse. These are:

a colour coded chart listing the categories of abuse

    You can find out more about types of abuse and neglect and how to get help in our say no to abuse easy read guide or in the Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCiE) types and indicators of abuse, which gives examples of what abuse and neglect might look like.

    What should be reported under Safeguarding?

    The Safeguarding Thresholds’ animation video and Guide to identifying quality, risk and safeguarding adult concerns another resource that seeks to support practitioners, partners, providers and public to understand what should be reported under safeguarding or needs a different response. 

    How do I report adult safeguarding concerns?

    Professional referrals - All professionals and agencies professionals can call the Adult Safeguarding triage team for advice, however all referrals should be made via the Portal Form.

    Members of the public

    If you are concerned about abuse or neglect of an adult in Cornwall, please contact Cornwall Council’s Safeguarding Adults/Access Team

    Portal QR code

    • Telephone: 0300 1234 131
    • Out of hours telephone: 0300 1234 131- Option 1 (For emergencies only), or
    • make a safeguarding referral using the  Portal Form. You can also scan this QR code with any smart device to access the portal form.

    If you are concerned about abuse or neglect of an adult in Isles of Scilly, please contact Council of the Isles of Scilly Adult Social Care department

    • Telephone 0300 1234 105 
    • Out of hours telephone: 01720 422699

    If you are concerned about abuse or neglect of a child - please see the Our Safeguarding Children partnership contact information


    Have your say...

    Comments are closed for this article