2023: Safeguarding and Carers
The 2022/23 annual conference theme is Carers and Safeguarding in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly and took place on Tuesday, 6th June 2023 as part of national carers week. The event was held at the Atlantic Hotel in Newquay and was livestreamed, so as many frontline professionals and volunteers can attend as possible. The conference video is here:
Many of us will meet carers throughout our daily work or lives. With 1 in 5 adults in the UK now caring for a relative, close friend or neighbour, the importance of understanding the experience of carers is vital to the prevention of abuse and neglect of adults.
Recent Safeguarding Adult Reviews (SARs), Domestic Homicide Reviews (DHRs) and the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic have highlighted some of the challenges and increasing pressure being faced by carers. These can often exacerbate existing vulnerabilities and risks for carers and the adults they care for and professionals have a key role in identifying carers, promoting their wellbeing and preventing harm by enabling them to access relevant support early on.
On the 6th June 2023, we brought together speakers, frontline practitioners and experts by experience from across Cornwall and Isles of Scilly for our interactive conference that explored:
- Who is a carer and professionals’ roles in recognising informal and unpaid carers
- Carers lived experiences and case studies
- Professional’s roles in assessing carers and cared for adults needs, capacity, suitability and vulnerabilities
- Support, tools and key messages for professionals
- Our local offer and resources - the Carers Strategy and new Carers Service
- Safeguarding and prevention – Learning from SARS and DHRs
- Real life success stories
- And more!
SAB Annual Conference Safeguarding and carers 2023 - Case Study for Carers Lived experience panel discussion: /assets/2/sab_con-case_study-may_2023.docx
Live Recording of the whole day: https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/835412169/0a7050f597
Event Programme: https://ciossafeguarding.org.uk/assets/2/sab_conference__event_program_final.pdf
Young Adult Carers summary video: https://youtu.be/NXocQIz2wbc/
Jill's Story: https://vimeo.com/831421715/a52b643ac3?share=copy